Map and Directions
American Prairie Reserve is located on the High Plains north of the Missouri River in northeastern Montana. Click the map below to view a larger image. For directions to the Reserve, please scroll to the bottom of the page. Printed visitor maps are also available by request.
Additional travel information and tips are posted on the Essential Information page.
Click on a topic to read details; click again to hide them.
Great Falls (GTF) – 4-hour drive to Reserve
Bozeman (BZN) – 5.5-hour drive to Reserve
*Lewistown (LWT) – 2-hour drive to Reserve
*Limited flights, often through Billings.
- After crossing the canal and passing 12th Street, turn left onto Highway 364 (It is unmarked. If you pass Joe’s In & Out on your right, you have gone too far. In 3.8 miles the road will turn to gravel.
- In less than 0.1 of a mile you will come to a fork in the road.
- Bear right at the Y in the road to take Regina Road.
- Continue for 29.7 miles to a T-intersection. Turn left.
- In one mile you will pass First Creek Hall and a waste transfer station on your left. Continue for 5.5 miles until you reach a T-intersection. To your left will be a road to the “Holzhey Ranch” marked by a hay bale balanced on top of a scarecrow. Turn right.
- Follow signs for American Prairie Reserve Headquarters.
- After approximately 40 miles the road will reach a T-intersection at “Bohemian Corner.” (There will be a small gas station on your left). Turn left.
- Follow Highway 191 north through the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge. Roughly 21 miles after crossing the Missouri River you will come to DY Junction (at mile marker 109), which you will know by signs on your left to the town of Zortman. Turn right onto gravel road.
- The road will immediately fork. Bear left onto Dry Fork Road.
- Follow Dry Fork Road for 26 miles to a T-intersection (there will be several trailers and a white building in front of you). Turn left. – After 3.5 miles the road forks. Bear right.
- Continue for 12.7 miles to the next T-intersection. To your left will be a road to the “Holzhey Ranch” marked by a hay bale balanced on top of a scarecrow. Turn right.
- Follow signs for American Prairie Reserve Headquarters