Back to top
Dispersed Camping on the prairie


Current Status:

We ask all visitors to travel and recreate responsibly by complying with guidance from local, state, and federal authorities. Visitors must observe social distancing guidelines, and no gatherings larger than 10 are permitted.

  • Tent camping is available on American Prairie's deeded land following the guidelines outlined below.
  • Campers in RV’s or vehicles can access state and federal land (see links on this page for more information on the Missouri Breaks National Monument, the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, Montana State Lands and Bureau of Land Management lands).

In addition to American Prairie facilities like Buffalo Camp, visitors can tent camp on American Prairie's deeded land and on nearby public lands.

Dispersed Tent Camping on American Prairie Deeded Land

Visitors are welcome to tent camp on American Prairie deeded land with the following guidelines:

  • At least ¼ mile off any road, ½ mile from any structures/dwellings, 200 ft. from bodies of water, no motorized off-road travel
  • Tents only
  • Three night limit at any one site 
  • No fires
  • Follow Leave No Trace principles

Dispersed Tent Camping on Your Public Lands

These lands include areas managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Montana’s Department of Natural Resources & Conservation, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Each agency has its own regulations for recreation and camping, which are provided below. It is the responsibility of each visitor to know your location and the regulations that apply.

We also encourage visitors to follow the principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics during their adventures on the prairie.



View BLM guidelines for dispersed camping. Contact the BLM at 406-896-5004 or visit the BLM Montana/Dakotas website for more information.

Visit the BLM Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument and Friends of Missouri Breaks Monument for area-specific travel and recreation information.


The Montana Department of Natural Resources & Conservation regulates the recreational use of state trust lands. General recreationists, including campers, hikers, horseback riders, and sight-seers, must possess a “State Land Recreational Use License” that can be acquired online or by an authorized Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks agent.


View Refuge information and regulations for travel, camping, vehicles, fishing, boating, hunting and more. Maps are available for download on the Refuge website and we encourage visitors to stop in at the main office in Lewistown for more information.