Click here to apply. Positions remain open until filled. American Prairie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TITLE: Kären & Jay Abbe Director of the National Discovery Center
DIVISION: Organizational Operations
REPORTS TO: VP & Chief Operations & Finance Officer
SUPERVISES: NDC Coordinator plus additional staff/volunteers once hired
LOCATION: Lewistown, MT
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
HOURS: 40 hours per week on average
BENEFITS OFFERED: Paid Vacation, Paid National Holidays, Paid Sick Days, Paid Volunteer Hours, 401K with up to 3% employer match, Medical Insurance with optional Flexible Savings or Health Savings Account & Dependent Care Account, Short-term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, Critical Illness, & Accident Insurance, Reserve Lodging Perks, Corporate Discounts, Flexible Scheduling
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Employees are expected to be responsible for and assist with additional tasks and duties as needed. Job descriptions may change to meet the business needs of the organization.
JOB PURPOSE: The Director of American Prairie’s National Discovery Center in Lewistown, MT is responsible for the general, educational, and fiscal leadership of the Center, including its programs, partnerships, personnel, budgets, and external relations. This individual is responsible for directing daily operations, ensuring an exceptional visitor experience, maintaining strong relationships with community, interpretive, and other outreach partners, and building and managing robust annual programming.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
60% Center Operations & Management
- Manage the Center’s ongoing operations by refining the operating model and continually assessing the staffing and volunteer structure.
- Oversee recruitment, training, and supervision of Center staff and volunteers.
- Communicate Center operations activity with internal stakeholders to facilitate organizational alignment.
- Investigate opportunities to develop new revenue streams in support of Center operations and develop plan for visitor retail experience.
- Develop and manage annual and project operating budgets, building maintenance and management plans, and operating procedures to ensure integration of the Center into American Prairie’s overall administrative processes and procedures.
- Model a culture of safety to ensure security at the Center for staff and visitors.
- Serve as a representative of American Prairie in the Lewistown community, building relationships with local stakeholders, building American Prairie’s positive reputation, and ensuring the Center provides economic and social benefit.
- In coordination with accounting, be responsible for the Center’s cash, exhibit, and inventory management processes.
40% Programming, Education and Outreach
- Develop and lead short- and long- term programming plans, including identifying, securing, and managing partnerships with national, state, and local organizations and civic groups, and sourcing programmatic content compatible with American Prairie’s mission and the Center’s purposes.
- Communicate and work effectively with many constituencies: visitors, students, event participants, funders, school and civic organizations, and local and state government.
- Working with the Marketing team, drive marketing and local, regional and national awareness of the Center, its programming and its resources through digital, print, and media channels.
- Set and maintain the highest standards of program excellence and put together and execute a comprehensive and compelling programming plan.
- Continually assess the visitor experience and provide analytics and recommendations to executive leadership to evolve content to best meet American Prairie’s and visitor needs.
- Support fundraising efforts, working closely with the Philanthropy team and Board of Directors to act as a project expert in the engagement of donors and in gift requests.
- Represent American Prairie in public meetings, presentations, and events, as needed.
- Lead the process of identifying best practices for leveraging technology to expand the Center’s audience reach.
- Enthusiasm for and positive representation of American Prairie’s mission, values, goals, and culture.
- Outstanding leader with exceptional business, program and people management skills, and the ability to articulate a vision and effectively accomplish deliverables and drive results.
- Resilient and engaging with savvy interpersonal skills.
- Strategic and competent oral and written communicator with assertive and proactive approach; poised and engaging presentation skills and a positively engaging public presence.
- Savvy interpersonal skills to successfully build and maintain positive and effective relationships across a broad spectrum of constituencies.
- Highly competent in working with and enabling high performance from contractors, vendors, volunteers, and staff with strong collaborative skills and ability to contribute to a team environment.
- Demonstrated success in leading programs and teams with effective oversight, adaptability, and versatility.
- Evidence of success in developing, managing, and growing an annual operating budget.
- Proficient with current technology devices and software including cloud-based software.
- Able to work a variable schedule, including weekends, evenings, and travel.
- Valid Driver’s license, reliable transportation, and ability to drive.
- 2+ years of experience running the operations and programming of a museum or interpretive center.
- Knowledge, understanding and familiarity with state of Montana.