To apply, please submit an email expressing interest and a resume to email@example.com. American Prairie Reserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
START DATE: As soon as possible
DURATION: 2-year term
BASE WORK & HOUSING LOCATION: Sun Prairie North property on American Prairie Reserve
REPORTS TO: Asset Director with daily supervision by Maintenance Manager
HOURS: Full time at 40 hours per week, typically 4 work days at 10 hours per day with some variation depending on operational demands
WAGE: $15 per hour with a raise up to $1 dependent on performance at 6-months
JOB PROVISIONS: Shared staff housing, shared work vehicle, shared work laptop & cellular phones
BENEFITS OFFERED: Reserve Lodging Perks & Corporate Discounts; Upon one year of employment eligible for 401K with up to 3% match, Medical Insurance with optional Flexible Savings or Health Savings Account & Dependent Care Account, Short-term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, Critical Illness, & Accident Insurance
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. All employees are required to be responsible for and assist with additional tasks and responsibilities as needed.
JOB PURPOSE: This skilled laborer position assists in the operation, caretaking, and restoration of Reserve infrastructure including land, buildings, vehicles and equipment. Work includes completing maintenance, repairs, construction, upkeep, and cleaning to look after the Reserve to foster an enjoyable and safe environment for Reserve staff and visitors.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Perform labor not limited to light carpentry and finishing work; minor plumbing and electrical; minor HVAC; landscaping, weed control and snow removal; and basic repair and upkeep of motorized and non-motorized vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- Complete work indoors and primarily outdoors in varied and extreme weather conditions, in remote and isolated areas including rustic and uninhabited structures, and traveling across rough and unmaintained terrain.
- Complete job duties to the specification set forth by supervisor in a manner that meets safety, health and sanitation standards and policies including appropriate use of safety and protective equipment.
- Monitor infrastructure while completing job duties to identify and report real or potential items of interest or concern whether regarding property, land, livestock, wildlife or people.
- Report accidents, injuries, damage or near misses immediately to Safety Manager.
- Complete accurate paper and electronic records in accordance with asset management and safety protocols.
- Respond as directed to emergencies or unanticipated needs such as assisting in the event of a facility plumbing issue or vehicle stuck in the mud or snow.
- Assist other operations including guest and visitor cleaning/hospitality services, prairie dog restoration projects, and bison restoration projects.
- Ability and willingness to positively represent American Prairie Reserve's mission, goals, values and culture.
- 1-year combined maintenance/labor experience required; 2-3 years labor experience preferred; type of labor experience preferred includes maintenance, farm and ranch, property, mechanical, or similar labor experience.
- Dependable with good time management skills and follow-through to complete work.
- Ability to adhere to instructions and ask necessary questions to ensure tasks and responsibilities are completed to employer specifications.
- Demonstrate a proactive and motivated work ethic with ability to work quickly and efficiently to complete tasks and responsibilities.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with others.
- Proficient use of technology including laptop, iPhone, and software for email, texting, calendars, time tracking, mapping, and data collection with apps such as Esri.
- Use chemicals and cleaning products and tools such as disinfectants, degreasers, solvents, broom, vacuum, etc.
- Proficient with hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to physically exert self, complete repetitive weight bearing labor such as shoveling, and lift and carry up to 50 pounds or more pounds with assistance.
- Physical mobility and dexterity including but not limited to the ability to walk, stand, squat, kneel, bend, stoop, reach and handle.
- Ability to operate 4WD trucks, skid steers, trailers, other farm & ranch equipment and off-road vehicles.
- Ability to drive long distances alone in remote areas and navigate unmaintained or potentially hazardous 2-tracks and roads in varied conditions such as mud, ice, and snow.
- Ability to work varied or long hours, on-call hours, evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Reliable transportation for personal non-work use.
- CPR, AED, and first aid training (provided).