Click here to apply. Positions remain open until filled. American Prairie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TITLE: Philanthropy Manager
DIVISION: Philanthropy & Marketing
REPORTS TO: Sr. Philanthropy Manager
LOCATION: Lewistown or Bozeman, Montana
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
HOURS: 40 hours per week on average
BENEFITS OFFERED: Paid Vacation, Paid National Holidays, Paid Sick Days, Paid Volunteer Hours, 401K with up to 3% employer match, Medical Insurance with optional Flexible Savings or Health Savings Account & Dependent Care Account, Short-term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, Critical Illness, & Accident Insurance, Reserve Lodging Perks, Corporate Discounts, Flexible Scheduling
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Employees are expected to be responsible for and assist with additional tasks and duties as needed. Job descriptions may change to meet the business needs of the organization.
ANNUAL FUND PROGRAM: American Prairie’s annual fund program exists to support general operations and raise awareness of our mission by attracting and retaining supporters giving annually, identifying mid-level and major gift prospects, and building a nationwide constituency of ambassadors eager to share American Prairie’s mission.
JOB PURPOSE: The purpose of the Philanthropy Manager is to ensure our donors and prospects understand the significance of their giving through meaningful stewardship, cultivation, and solicitation efforts, and in a scalable manner. This position will be responsible for working closely with our Marketing team and campaign consultants to develop a comprehensive growth strategy for all donor levels of the Annual Fund including monthly giving, up-leveled giving appeals, mid-level giving, and planned giving, including development of associated cultivation and stewardship plans. This position is responsible for carrying and growing a mid-level donor portfolio including conducting direct solicitation of annual gifts and pledged commitments ranging from $5K up to $50K.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
ANNUAL FUND STRATEGY, GROWTH, CULTIVATION AND STEWARDSHIP (100%)
- Responsible for successful achievement of annual fund revenue goal of $1.5M+ (in year one of hire) from donations ranging from $1 to $49,999, through creative strategies developed for quarterly direct mail, email, and social media appeals; new donor acquisition campaigns; and working closely with Philanthropy team members through direct solicitation of mid-level donations and pledged commitments of $5K up to $50K.
- Oversee and engage a portfolio of mid-level donors and donor prospects capable of making annual gifts and pledged commitments of $5K to $50K. Conduct weekly donor thank you calls and write personal notes on thank you letters for mid-level donors and prospects. Host, on occasion, donors and prospects during visits to American Prairie.
- Develop a tiered stewardship plan for annual donors so that individual donors are acknowledged appropriately, retained, and upgraded to be executed by the Philanthropy Project Manager with assistance from the Philanthropy Specialist.
- In close coordination with American Prairie’s Marketing team and campaign consultants, develop and maintain a thoughtful annual fund communications calendar to be executed by the Philanthropy Project Manager.
- Work closely with campaign consultants and the Marketing team to craft and develop attractive, on-brand and informative materials including appeal mailings and emails, cultivation emails, social media posts, and other important donor correspondence according to the communications calendar.
- Set annual goals and multi-year goals for Annual Fund growth, working closely with campaign consultants and the Philanthropy team. Work with the Database Systems Manager and Philanthropy Program Manager to maintain, enhance, and report annual fund metrics and make data-informed decisions.
- With the Chief Philanthropy Officer and Director of Philanthropy, establish and manage the annual expense and revenue budget, including developing annual revenue goals.
- Enthusiasm for and positive representation of American Prairie’s mission, values, and culture.
- Possess a proactive, motivated, and accountable work ethic; be confident and adaptable with sound judgment.
- Strong accountability and initiative in executing tactics and tracking efficacy, and ability to use learning to recommend adjustments to the annual fund strategy.
- Program or project management experience.
- 3+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, with familiarity and experience working with annual fundraising programs or processes, donor stewardship, and giving appeals.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task, including delegating and managing up in order to accomplish results.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of discretion.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Must have the versatility to interact proactively with staff at all levels of the organization, board members, volunteers, vendors, and donors in a positive and professional manner.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills.
- Computer experience required including high proficiency in MS office, database software, email software, and Internet research.
- Occasional travel required including the ability to drive and a valid driver’s license.
- Experience managing an individual portfolio of donors and producing charitable contributions.
- Salesforce experience.
- College degree.
- Marketing experience.