To apply, please submit an email expressing interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. American Prairie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
START DATE: ASAP
LOCATION: Lewistown, Montana
REPORTS TO: VP/Chief Operations & Finance Officer
HOURS: Full time at 40 hours per week
BENEFITS: Paid Vacation, National Holidays & Sick Days; Paid Volunteer Hours; 401K with up to 3% employer match; Medical Insurance with optional Flexible Savings or Health Savings Account & Dependent Care Account; Short-term Disability Insurance; Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, Critical Illness, & Accident Insurance; Reserve Lodging Perks; Corporate Discounts; Flexible Scheduling
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. All employees are required to be responsible for and assist with additional tasks and responsibilities as needed.
JOB PURPOSE: The primary purpose of this position is to oversee and direct all aspects of land acquisition toward fulfillment of the mission in alignment with organizational goals. Oversight and direction are accomplished through personal initiative, internal team collaboration and partnership with our highly experienced, tenured team of brokerage and legal contractors. On a day-to-day basis, this role focuses on identification and cultivation of acquisition opportunities and stewardship of relationships with landowners, area neighbors, and agencies or other entities instrumental to land purchases and management. The land team, led by this position, is responsible for strategic planning, identifying and analyzing acquisition opportunities, structuring purchase offers, negotiating, and closing acquisitions. This role is responsible for certain aspects of land management including water rights, private and government leases, and land monetization initiatives.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
80% Land Acquisition
- Oversee and work in collaboration with brokers, legal counsel, and other specialized contractors on the research, analysis, and negotiation of land opportunities.
- Ensure the development and accomplishment of strategic short-term and long-term land goals aligned with overall organizational goals.
- Research and identify specific opportunities to maintain a pipeline of potential purchases that meet strategic goals.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with neighbors and area landowners to cultivate and steward land opportunities.
- Build and maintain productive relationships and act as a liaison with government agencies or other representatives pertaining to land acquisition and management.
- Inform the executive team, staff, and Board of Directors about strategies, status, and progress of land efforts on a regular basis.
- Support fundraising efforts, working closely with philanthropy team and Board of Directors to act as a project expert in the engagement of donors and in gift requests.
- Communicate with staff stakeholders in risk management, finance and reserve management as appropriate.
- Manage all aspects of the acquisition process including project feasibility recommendations, analysis, and risk mitigation measures; due diligence for potential acquisitions; preparation and review of legal documents including letters of intent, purchase and sales contracts, easements and governmental agreements.
- Facilitate the review of real estate documents (such as surveys and title) to determine liabilities associated with potential acquisitions and oversee resolution of survey, title, or other acquisition related issues prior to closing.
- Maintain complete and accurate land acquisition and property records.
20% Land Management
- Manage State of Montana, BLM, and private leases.
- Oversee and administer property water rights.
- Oversee land monetization opportunities and programs to the degree reasonable while prioritizing acquisition.
- Enthusiasm for and positive representation of American Prairie’s mission, values, goals, and culture.
- Sound judgment with a high level of integrity to execute decisions with significant mission impact, and the ability and experience to balance the company's strategic goals with its risk tolerance in a changing acquisition landscape.
- Five plus years of related professional experience such as real estate, resource/land management, finance or other relevant area.
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to proactively work toward solutions or new approaches and productively navigate conflict.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a strong desire to engage with others demonstrating authenticity, diplomacy, professionalism and tact.
- Ability to build and manage productive working relationships with individuals and groups with diverse or divergent interests and beliefs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication including strong presentation skills and the ability to skillfully articulate strategy and recommendations and to communicate American Prairie’s unique vision to the public.
- Proactive self-starter who demonstrates a high degree of initiative, and resilience.
- GIS systems awareness and comprehension.
- Proficient with current technology devices and software including cloud-based software for organizing, storing, and creating documents and spreadsheets or working in databases.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends or other non-traditional work hours as needed.
- Ability to travel frequently, generally driving within Montana.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- BA/BS degree in management, finance, real estate, resource/land management or other relevant area.
- Local real estate knowledge.
- Non-profit or mission driven professional experience.
- Knowledge of natural resource management and best practices.
- Basic GIS technical experience.